Along with being available to assist you with questions about local government and regional issues, the Franklin Regional Council of Governments also provides multiple resources, such as county road maps, surveys, directories, FRCOG assessment notices, and training opportunities/materials for municipal officials.
Assessments to Towns
Each year, following the passage of the budget in late January, the FRCOG Finance Department releases the municipal assessments for annual membership, fee-for-service programs for the next fiscal year, and the Franklin County Emergency Communication System (FCECS) assessments.
- Approved FRCOG FY24 Municipal Membership and Fee-For-Services Assessment Notice (PDF, 4 KB)
- Approved FY24 Franklin County Emergency Communication System Assessment Notice (PDF, 108 KB)
Wage and Salary Surveys
The FRCOG publishes the results of its Franklin County Wage and Salary Survey each winter, providing detailed information on municipal compensation and benefits packages for local officials. In FY23, in response to requests from municipal budgeting offices, staff expanded the project, gathering wage information from 8 towns outside of the county. The results of that initiative can be found in our first Out-of-County compilation below.
- FY23 Franklin County Municipal Wage and Salary Survey (PDF, 529 kb)
- FY23 Out-of-County/Regional Municipal Wage and Salary Survey (PDF, 1 MB)
The Franklin Regional Council of Governments publishes a Municipal Directory which lists contact information for municipal officials, departments, and services for each of the county’s 26 municipalities.
FRCOG 2018-2019 Municipal Directory (update coming later in 2023) (PDF, 4.1 MB)
If you find inaccuracies or wish to update the information from your municipality for either the Wage and Salary Survey or the Municipal Directory, please contact Rebekah Boyd.
District Local Technical Assistance (DLTA)
Thanks to the Baker/Polito Administration and the Legislature, the FRCOG is pleased to once again be able to offer member towns technical assistance on a wide variety of priority issues. Among the priorities that can be addressed using these DLTA funds are the Massachusetts Community Compact Best Practice Areas (Word file).
Local Official Capacity Building Workshops: Topics & Handouts
Please contact Rebekah Boyd for hard copies of the materials from a particular session.
- DEP & EPA Grants Information Session
- FEMA Firefighter & Fire Response Grants Information Session
- USDA Rural Development Grant Information Session
- MA One Stop for Growth Grant Information Session
- Transportation Improvement Program Workshop (Part 2)
- Transportation Improvement Program Workshop (Part 1)
- Updated ARPA Guidance: Procurement & Compliance
Prior Years Workshops
Materials from prior years are offered for general reference–to the extent possible we include dates in the links. Please note that older materials may have updated laws, regulations, or best practices associated with them.
- Pre-Rental Housing Inspections: A Tool For Improving Health. June, 2022.
- Ask The Inspector: Recreational Camps. April, 2022
- Short Term Rentals: Zoning, Building Codes, and State Sanitary Codes. June, 2021.
- Short Term Rental Resources for Towns. 2019.
- Cannabis Control Commission presentation on final regulations. June 2018.
- MA Attorney General’s Neighborhood Renewal Program for Abandoned Housing
- Diversifying Rural Housing Opportunities: a presentation & discussion about undoing racial and economic inequities in Franklin County’s housing market. Co-presentation with the Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA). January 14, 2021.
- Attorney General Office Neighborhood Renewal Division – Receiver Training. May 13, 2021.
- Funding Municipal Water & Sewer Infrastructure in Small Towns. Co-sponsored with BRPC, PVPC, Sens. Comerford & Hinds, and Rep. Blais. February 24, 2021.
- Cybersecurity Workshop Series (8 sessions). Fall 2021
- Safety Planning for Town Offices, Libraries, & Other Municipal Workplaces. January 9, 2021.
- OSHA Compliance at Transfer Stations. November 12, 2020.
- Select Board 101. August 2021.
- Finance Committee 101. November 5, 2020.
- Town Moderator Resources. February, 2020.
- Town Financial Management Review. November 2018.
- Public Records Law. 2016.
Franklin County Town Meeting dates
- Web Portal for Municipal Grants
- COMMBUYS (State Procurement)
Other Municipal Agencies
Franklin County Regional Agencies