The Directors of the Town of Montague’s Planning and Conservation Department and Department of Public Works recognize the value of having a baseline public tree inventory in Turners Falls. This inventory will serve many purposes including:
- Establishing a baseline with which trends—such as trees removed and trees planted—can be compared
- Considering street trees as part of the Town’s overall green infrastructure
- Helping the DPW manage maintenance and planting schedules
- Helping the Town to set planting goals and determine budgets
- Supporting claims to FEMA in the case of significant losses due to severe weather and other hazards
- Supporting applications for funding tree planting and planning projects
The baseline tree inventory was conducted in the summer and fall of 2015 by FRCOG staff. Montague’s Planning and Conservation Department and Department of Public Works provided input on the data that should be collected as part of the inventory.